This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a small commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Are you looking for easy toy organization ideas to tame the chaos of too many toys? I feel your pain!! Here are 6 toy organization ideas we use in our home that help immensely.
Why Organize Toys?
With 3 little boys about the same age with the same interests, we have so many toys that are similar or the same. We also have so many amazing family members who love to shower our boys with toys! It’s a good thing overall and we feel very blessed and leads to the need to organize. That’s alright though, luckily I love organizing so I’ve enjoyed putting together storage solutions for the various toys that we have.
I’d love to just have one type of toy storage for all toys so it looks cohesive BUT that isn’t possible when some toys are super small whereas others are much larger. I’ll go into my favorite toy organization items below!
We have two of these wooden and plastic bin toy organizers in our living room. These are great because you, or your children, can take the bins off of the shelf and bring them to where they want to play. The thought is once they’re done they can put the whole bin back. Let’s be honest, that doesn’t normally happen, at least not in my house, BUT it is nice to be able to quickly gather things myself back into the bin and put it back where it belongs at the end of the day…or week.
It’s also great that the bins come in different colors because each one of my boys has their designated color, green, blue, and red, so they can store THEIR specific toys in their colored bins. Some bins are for everyone though, especially the yellow ones. I actually have one of these that has mainly their child-specific toys and then the other rack of bins is for anyone to use, such as dinosaurs, cars, letters, etc. If you aren’t a fan of all the colors and are looking for something more neutral, they also have a gray and white set.
Extra bins are also able to be purchased in case one gets damaged if your kids are too rough on it (they are sturdy but I do have 3 boys who tend to ruin things so one has become cracked but was able to be taped back together). You also may want additional bins if you want to store some things in their rooms separate from the rack, or whatever. We have liked having extra bins for sensory play as well. They can be filled an inch with soap and water and then kids can use it as a washbasin to wash their toys such as dinosaurs. This honestly keeps my kids entertained for so long.
- Removable toy storage bins for playtime and easy clean up
- Easy to assemble toy organizer for blocks, crayons, toy trucks, dolls, and more is great for boys and girls ages 3 years and up
- 12 rugged plastic toy bins are interchangeable, 8 standard and 4 large storage containers
- Additional standard and large bins sold separately
- Sturdy engineered wood construction is durable, easy to clean, and includes steel dowels to support toy bins
- Perfect gift for boys and girls ages 3-8 years
- Comes in multiple color options -Primary: Natural finish with primary bins (red, green, blue, yellow), Pastel: White finish with pastel bins (pink, light green, baby blue, light yellow), Espresso: Espresso finish with white bins
- Ideal for organizing your toddler's bedroom, playroom, nursery, or the living room
- Great storage alternative to toy boxes
- Product sizing-34"W x 11"D (15.5"D with stabilizing braces) x 31"H, Standard bins: 11.75"L x 8.25"W x 5.25"H, Large bins: 16"L x 11.75"W x 5.25"H
- Great on bookshelves, in the closet or under the bed
- Perfectly sized as replacement bins for Tot Tutors toy organizers
- Sturdy plastic construction
- Dimensions of each bin: W*L*H by 12 x 16 x 6 inches
- For ages 3+ year
Set of 4 small plastic storage bins: 1 Blue, 1 Green, 1 Yellow, 1 Red. Phthalate and BPA free.
Sturdy plastic construction, bins are waterproof and can be stacked. Do not use in very hot water.
Perfectly sized as replacement bins for Humble Crew Storage Organizers. Bin Dimensions: 12"W x 9"D x 6"H
Durable, sturdy and easy to clean.
Extra Large Storage
If you have the room for it, this extra-large storage bin and rack set would be great as well! It is one small bin wider than the one above. Similar to the ones above, they also have a version with white bins if you aren’t interested in all of the colors.
- Extra-large size stores 25% more than other toy organizers.
- Removable toy storage bins for playtime and easy clean up.
- Sturdy engineered wood construction frame reinforced with steel dowels, 20 pound weight capacity per level.
- 16 durable plastic storage bins, 12 standard and 4 large (equivalent to 8 standard bins) interchangeable storage bins. BPA and phthalate free.
- Product sizing— Organizer: 42”W x 11”D (16”D with stabilizing braces) x 31”H, Standard Size Bins: 12”L x 9”W x 6”H, Large Size Bins: 16”L x 12”W x 6”H
- Stabilizing braces and anti-tip kit provide additional safety support.
- Ideal for toddlers ages 3 and up for playtime, reading, crafts and more.
Fabric Storage Bin Organizer
We also have a fabric storage bin organizer that we love. The bins are deeper so they hold more than the ones above though honestly, I have a bit of a love-hate with that notion. Since they fit more, the kids tend to forget the things at the bottom of the basket exist BUT it is nice to have such a large bin to put things in…
The fabric storage bins and organizer was our first toy organizer when our oldest was a baby. We liked the fabric bins as we were afraid he’d somehow get hurt on the plastic ones. (The stuff first-time parents worry about) Plus, back then we lived in a smaller house than we do now and the space we wanted to fit this into was shorter than the plastic bin racks above.
We’ve found with these that you can have them flat as shown or you can angle the two top rows so kids are able to see more easily what is inside each fabric bin.
This organizer comes in this color or you can get dark & light blue bins or dark & light pink bins.
Below is the organizer from the Amazon store and to the right is ours full of toys.
- Recommended for ages 3 to 6
- Made of engineered wood, solid wood and fabric
- Features four (4) small, three (3) medium and two (2) large bins
- Assembled dimensions: 36 Inches L x 11.81 Inches W x 28 Inches H Easy assembly
- Meets or exceeds all national safety standards and CPSC regulations
It is SO important to have a lot of books at any age but especially when kids are little to help them learn letters, words, overall vocabulary, etc. We have SO many bookshelves full of books. We also use bookshelves for toy storage, it actually works quite nicely. Unlike the toy storage above, once the kids are old enough they don’t need so many toys around, we can put books on the bookshelf and use it for it’s original purpose!
It is important to get shorter bookcases for book and toy storage. Always put the heavier books or toys on the bottom and the lighter toward the top, this will help reduce the chance of it tipping. It also is a good idea to anchor the bookshelf, or any organization, to the wall. To be honest, we haven’t with any of our toy organization or dressers but we might end up regretting that. My husband just really doesn’t want to put holes in the walls more than completely necessary.
We’ve found that basic Sauder bookcases are ideal for books and toy organization. Having two adjustable shelves is great for different-sized books and toys. We honestly just picked another one up today for one of our twins’ rooms.
- Simple stylish design yet functional and suitable for any room
- Material: Manufactured from Engineered particle board.
- Fits in your space, fits on your budget.
- Sturdy on flat surface. Assembly Required.
- Product Dimension: 22.7(W) x 31.5(H) x 9.7(D) Inches
Large Bin for Toys/Balls/Stuffed Animals
We got one of these hamper bins on a whim and it ended up being a great place to toss stuffed animals that were strewn about the living room floor. In the bin, they collect less dust as you’re able to close the top with a drawstring and they aren’t laying all over the floor!
We also have used one for the balls in our house. Our boys love having balls inside but they got to a point where all they did was throw them at each other and across the house. One night after they went to bed, I collected all of the balls and put them into this bin then hid the bin in a closet. Oddly enough, they haven’t asked for it. It’s probably been a year at this point. I know they’ll want them eventually and hopefully, eventually, they’ll be able to handle having balls in the house but until then they are easily stowed away in this nice hamper-type bin.
- Freestanding: Simply stretch the laundry hamper out, it will stand up and keep upright on its own without installation.
- Dust-proof: The clothes hamper with drawstring closure lid for dust-proof.
- Size: Dia. 13.7"(D) x 18"(H) / 35(D) x 45CM(H), please check the size carefully before purchase.
- Collapsible Design: Laundry basket can be easily folded up to save space when not in use, ideal for college dorms, campers, apartments, hotel use, baby nurseries and utility room.
- Materials: The laundry hamper is made from thick polyester with PE coating to keep stored items dry, it is lightweight with durable leather handle, makes it easy to carry up and down stairs, laundry destination, etc. Do not use washing machine to clean the storage basket, it will damage the frame and coating.
Storage Basket and Mat
This storage basket with an attached mat is great for keeping toys contained while being played with and for quick clean-up. This is especially great for Lego Duplos or regular Legos, as they are small and there are a lot of them to clean up! This way you shouldn’t have any left behind in the carpet for you to hurt your foot on when you walk on it!
We’ve also used this when playing with Kinetic sand. We don’t end up dumping it into the storage area but even just having a large mat with a raised border around it helps contain the sand.
- ALL-IN-ONE PLAY SOLUTION: Our all-in-one toy basket is designed to make tidying up a breeze. With its compact size, it effortlessly stores and organizes your children's building bricks and small toys. Spread out the mat for hours of play, and when it's time to clean up, simply pull the convenient drawstring handles to gather everything in one go. This versatile toy box is perfect for boys and girls, also serving as a bin and kids' stuffed animal storage.
- TIDY IN A FLASH: This is the ultimate solution for hassle-free playtime. Our combo storage basket with an integrated playmat revolutionizes the way kids have fun and clean up. Let your little ones spill and scatter knowing that cleanup is just a flash away. The innovative design allows for easy spreading out during playtime and effortless tidying up afterward. Say goodbye to tedious toy pick-ups; giving you more time to enjoy precious moments with your children.
- PLENTY OF ROOM TO PLAY: Our spacious 52" play mat featuring a 3" lip provides ample room for young builders to show their creativity without causing chaos. The accompanying 12" tall, 15" diameter basket ensures effortless organization, accommodating up to 9 lbs of toys. This expansive mat allows little ones to focus on exploring, learning, and enjoying every moment of play.
- MADE TO LAST: Our slideaway toy storage organizer is crafted with durability in mind, this storage basket features a sorting mat and heavy-duty handles that can withstand plenty of use. The durable construction ensures that it can handle the wear and tear of even the most enthusiastic playtime. We stand behind our product's quality with a Lifetime Guarantee, ensuring it will last for generations to come. Invest in practicality and peace of mind with SlideAway.
- TRUST THE ORIGINAL: Creative QT, the pioneer behind the patent-pending SlideAway Basket with a matching lid. With an unwavering dedication to top-notch quality and customer happiness, our products offer unparalleled value for your money. Designed specifically to simplify the lives of parents, our innovative solutions are a testament to our expertise. Embrace the unrivaled excellence of the original, and experience the premium difference that sets us apart from others.
What are some of your favorite ways to organize your kids’ toys?
As a mom of identical twins and a son two years older, I have gained invaluable experience in the realm, and chaos, of parenting. With a Master's Degree and Education Specialist Degree in School Psychology, I spent years as a school psychologist, helping children navigate through their educational and emotional challenges. Now as a stay at home mom and professional blogger, I combine my areas of expertise to help you in your parenting journey.