This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a small commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Are you considering adding another child to the family? Here are some things that will help with how to prepare your child for a new sibling. Our oldest had just turned two years old when our twins were born. We did a lot of things to prepare him as much as we possibly could.
Our oldest loved Daniel Tiger at the time, which is great because there are many books and episodes of his show that have to do with having a new little sibling.
Daniel Tiger Sibling Episodes on DVD
Daniel Tiger is great at helping teach kids so many different things, including becoming a big brother and being a big helper in the family. This DVD has several episodes within it including: The Tiger Family Grows; Daniel Learns About Being a Big Brother; The Baby is Here; Time for Daniel; There’s Time for Daniel, and Margaret Too; Playtime is Different; and The Playground is Different with Baby. These episodes are all about expecting a new baby sibling.
- PBS Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood: Big Brother Daniel- Meet the Baby
Big Brother Daniel Book
This book is based on one of the episodes from the DVD above. It’s great to have both so that your child can revisit the story over and over again without the need for technology. They also can page through this book on their own, even if they can’t read yet. This book shows how Daniel is a great helper when his sibling arrives.
Our oldest was so excited to be a big helper in the family, as this book talks about a lot. I think him helping out made him feel more involved with the twins and us as a family.
The Baby is Here
This is another great book about becoming a big brother and how things change once baby arrives. This book is also based on an episode of the show and shows how Daniel welcomes his baby sibling.
Big Enough to Help
This Daniel Tiger book is really great at showing kids that even though they are small, they are big enough to help with some things. It also addresses that they can’t help with everything, such as dangerous things, but for the most part their help is welcomed and important in the family.
Daniel Plays in a Gentle Way
The Daniel Plays in a Gentle Way book helps kids understand that with a new baby sibling in the house, they need to be very careful and gentle to not injure them. It also shows that even though they need to be gentle, they still can interact with their younger sibling.
I Am a Big Brother Book
The I Am a Big Brother book by Caroline Jayne Church is a fun book all about becoming a big brother and how exciting it is.
I’m a Big Sister Book
Most of the books I’ve mentioned above are about being a big brother, just because Daniel Tiger was who we went to for our oldest and because we have all boys. There are plenty of big sister books and resources out there as well! Here is one of them about being a big sister!
Big Brother Shirts
There are so many fun Big Brother shirts out there in all different sizes. Here are some I thought were cute!
We had our twins give our oldest a big brother shirt after they were born and he really appreciated it.
- Promoted to Big Brother tees are made from high quality ultra soft 100% premium cotton, these tee’s are comfortable and sensitive skin friendly
- Perfect for a pregnancy or gender reveal announcement, a soon to be sibling top for a baby shower, clothing for new baby photography session, birthday party tee shirts or daily wear
- Going to be a big brother shirts are True to size and have been pre-shrunk. No shrinkage Makes an adorable perfect gift for a sister of a new baby or birthday girl’s elder sibling
- These big bro tees are perfect for a brother to wear at their new siblings birthday party, baby shower or gender reveal.
- Made from pre-shrunk Lightweight ultra soft premium cotton. No shrinking!
Daniel Tiger Big Brother Shirt – Personalized!
As I mentioned above, we had our newborn twins give this personalized shirt to our oldest after they were born and he loves it! We bought it in a bigger size so he could wear it for years. He was 2 when the twins were born and at 5-years-old he still wears the shirt proudly. This goes perfect with the Daniel Tiger Sibling Episodes.
- Official Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood licensed product | Personalize shirt with a name using up to 10 characters in Yellow letters ** Click the "Customize Now" button to start the custom personalization process and Add to Cart;
- Remind others who the big brother is with this adorable navy tee. This special t-shirt features the phrase "I'm the big brother!" and Daniel Tiger;
- Blue shirt made of 100% preshrunk cotton; Classic fit; 3/4" double-needle topstitched collar; Taped neck and shoulders; Double-needle bottom hem; Easy tear label; Machine washable
- Youth Large 14/16 shirt size measurements: 25” body length - 19” body width;
- Personalized gifts are a creative, thoughtful, and unique way to surprise a wife, husband, family member, friend, co-worker, teacher, or anyone else special in your life with something truly memorable. Custom items also make an excellent present for a wedding, birthday, shower, anniversary, housewarming, Grandparent’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, and other special holidays, occasions, or events.
Big Sister Shirts
Not to leave out the big sisters, here are some big sister shirts!
This big sister shirt comes in many different sizes and colors.
Promoted to Big Sister Shirt
Here is another cute Promoted to Big Sister shirt!
- 👍 Cotton.High-quality Material, soft and breathable, No shrinkage.Big Sister Reveal Announcement T-Shirt is absolutely perfect for your toddler girls outfit and big sister gift.
- 👶Make your Pregnancy Reveal Announcement fun with this Bold Big Sister Colorful Sibling Reveal Announcement T-Shirt for Baby and Toddler Girls Outfits.
- 👶Perfect pregnancy gift, shower gift, birthday gift, new year present.Big sister top clothes.“PROMOTED to BIG SISTER 2023”letter print.
- 👶 Sizes for kids baby girls 1-7 years. Please check your size with our SIZE CHART before you buy it.
- 👶Package included :1*baby t-shirt
We got our son a baby doll when we found out I was pregnant. He loved this baby doll and took it everywhere. Of course, a few weeks later we learned I was carrying twins so we went back and got another baby doll. Haha! Of course, this was back when Toys R Us was closing down so we couldn’t get an identical one but close enough.
If you happen to be having twins, here is one that may be helpful.
- YOURS TO LOVE: It's twice the fun with twin 15-inch dolls Luke and Lucy
- HUGS ALL DAY: Luke and Lucy have adorable coordinating removable rompers and caps, eyes that open and close, and they can suck their thumbs or the included pacifiers.
- PLAY AND LEARN: This set of twins makes the perfect first dolls for nurturing and cuddling and for developing social and emotional skills.
- GREAT GIFT FOR AGES 18 MONTHS TO 5 YEARS: These lovable twin dolls make an exceptional gift for kids ages 18 months to 5 years. Add the Melissa and Doug Mine to Love - Mariana 12" Baby Doll to round out the hands-on, screen-free play experience.
- “THE GOLD STANDARD IN CHILDHOOD PLAY”: For more than 30 years, Melissa and Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that NBC News called “the gold standard in early childhood play.”
- 100% HAPPINESS : We design every toy to the highest quality standards, and to nurture minds and hearts. If your child is not inspired, give us a call and we'll make it right. Our phone number is on every product
For single pregnancies, here is a baby doll that comes in boy, girl, and also in more than just Caucasian babies which is awesome!!
- Item Package Dimension: 10.86L x 7.86W x 4.12H inches
- Item Package Weight - 0.98 Pounds
- Item Package Quantity - 1
- Product Type - TOY FIGURE
As a mom of identical twins and a son two years older, I have gained invaluable experience in the realm, and chaos, of parenting. With a Master's Degree and Education Specialist Degree in School Psychology, I spent years as a school psychologist, helping children navigate through their educational and emotional challenges. Now as a stay at home mom and professional blogger, I combine my areas of expertise to help you in your parenting journey.