This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a small commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
There are several ways that we tell our identical twins apart, and their toys, and that I recommend other twin parents try out.
Small Distinguishing Features
From birth, be on the lookout for any little thing that will help you tell them apart. For us, we noticed that there was a faint vein on both of their noses near their eyes but one was on the right and one on the left. Too faint for being able to tell easily but when looking back at photos it helps me tell who is who before we started dressing them the way we do.
When one of our twins was just a few weeks old, he developed a mole on his leg. We were able to tell them apart when needed by that mole, and that’s what we use to this day if needed.
Nail Polish on Toes
When our twins were first born and when they finally were home together we painted the big toenail of one twin the color blue so we could keep track of who was who. We did this on the toe so he wouldn’t accidentally suck it off of his finger. We also ensured we used non-toxic fingernail polish called Piggy Paint that is safe for littles.
Lucky for us, one twin ended up with a mole on his leg early on. Once that developed we no longer had to paint a toenail now that there was a clear difference between the two.
- NON-TOXIC WATER-BASED FORMULA – Better than 10 Free or 17 Free because it's Free of ALL Harsh Chemicals. Vegan + Cruelty-free + Eco-friendly. NO Formaldehyde or Formaldehyde resin, NO Toluene, NO Phthalates, NO Parabens, NO Sulfates, NO Acetone, NO Bisphenol A, NO Ethyl Acetate, NO Camphor, NO Alcohol, NO Ethyl Tosylamide, NO Glycol Ether of Series E, NO Nonylphenol Ethoxylate, NO Triphenyl Phosphate, NO Xylene, NO Styrene, NO Gluten.
- ODORLESS – Since Piggy Paint nail polish is a water-based formula, it is virtually odorless compared to solvent-based alternatives.
- KID-FRIENDLY, SAFE FOR ALL AGES – Piggy Paint is #1 Kids Nail Polish on the market, a premium brand that parents know and trust, and was created by a Mom! This water-based polish is safe for pregnant & nursing moms, for use on babies, toddlers and young children.
- MINI BOTTLES - Contains 4 polishes & each bottle is 0.12 oz (3.5 ml). This cute gift set is ALL the fun, with NO Harsh Chemicals!
- HARD, DURABLE FINISH THAT DOESN'T PEEL – For Best Wear, BLOW DRY polished nails for 1 minute with hair dryer set on warm heat/low blower setting. Use Piggy Paint Basecoat for Max. chip resistance. Piggy Paint Shine Topcoat adds shine & scratch resistance.
From early on, we started having one identical twin in reds and oranges and the other in blues and greens. This not only helped in the here and now but also in looking back at pictures. We still do this even now that they’re 3-years-old and it’s to the point that our twin we have in red will ONLY wear all red socks (which are hard to find) and red pants as well as red shirts. Maybe we created a bit of a problem in that case but overall, it really, really helps.
Our twins even want the rest of us to have our own colors so our oldest is green, I am purple, and my husband is orange or yellow, depending on what’s left based on what we are using.
Things to color code:
Try to get toys that are the ‘color’ you picked for your twin if possible. For example, our twins wanted matchbox cars so we got the one twin red cars and the other twin blue cars.
If there isn’t an option for their ‘color’ then have little dot stickers available to put on the toys. I use these and if the toy is too small for a large dot on the bottom of it then I cut the dot in half. It is so simple yet has reduced fights greatly between brothers.
Do be sure that if you are using a sticker that you put it on firmly and that your child is old enough to know not to put the sticker in their mouths should it come off. For my boys, that was about age two or so but yours might be different.
These stickers can also be great for developing their fine motor skills as they get to be about 2 or 3 years old, and with supervision. You can first help them take the sticker off of the sheet and then put it on a piece of paper, then as they progress you can teach them how to do it themselves. Seems simple but my kids love it!
- Bright Colored Labels Stickers: 2800 PCS 3/4 Inch diameter color coding dots round stickers-7 colors (Red/Yellow/Blue/Green/Orange/Rose/Light Blue), 70 pieces per sheet, 40 sheets , sheet dimension is 6.9”X9.8
- Easy Peel & Removable: They are stick to all surfaces. You can write marks on musical instruments for beginners. If you don’t like the initial placement, you could easily remove the dot labels with little effort and change another places without making messy residue
- A Varity of Use with Color Dot Stickers: A must-have stationary item for every office. Use in the classroom or organize DVD's or books, Call attention to documents, inventory, sale items, calendars and more
- Great for Marking or Labeling: Great as prizes and gifts for students boys and girls. Use for calendars, documents and school activities, such as school notes, kitchen classification or yard sale
- 100% Guaranteed with Good Customer Service: We provide 18-month warranty and customer service. If you have any problem with products, pls feel free to contact us
This has been a HUGE help to us especially looking back at pictures. We generally have one twin in blue and the other in red. This helps us as we look back at pictures, when it comes to visiting people who don’t see them often so they can easily tell them apart, and even just from across the room knowing who is doing what. Our twins are identical but do have subtle differences that are easy to tell when close but when far away it’s a bit harder.
I superly LOVED these sleep and play outfits/pjs when my little guys were babies. Kept them warm, was just one piece so easy for diaper changes, easy to go from play to nap, etc.
As a mom of identical twins and a son two years older, I have gained invaluable experience in the realm, and chaos, of parenting. With a Master's Degree and Education Specialist Degree in School Psychology, I spent years as a school psychologist, helping children navigate through their educational and emotional challenges. Now as a stay at home mom and professional blogger, I combine my areas of expertise to help you in your parenting journey.