This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a small commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Need gift ideas for 1-year-olds? From Little People toys to plush cars to learning toys, there are a lot of the best gifts for 1-year-olds in this post!
VTech Sort and Discover Activity Cube
The VTech sort and discover activity cube is a great toy for babies up to 3 year olds. With so much to explore, they’ll be sure to be playing with it for years.
There are five sides of activities with things from books where they can learn to turn pages, sorting shapes, pushing colorful buttons, turning colorful tiles, and so much more!
The sort and discover activity cube features five sides of fun activities; features 75+ songs, sounds, melodies and phrases and instruction-clean with a damp cloth
When I first became a stay-at-home mom when my oldest was 1-year-old we hit up garage sales that summer like it was our job. It was so much fun having my little guy with me and able to pick out toys for good prices! I didn’t have Little People toys when I was younger and they’ve gotten even cooler since the 1980s. I kept seeing them at garage sales and snatching them up. My husband soon made fun of me and asked if they were for me or for our son, seeing as I seemed to be WAY more excited for them than our little guy was. Haha! I said, and still believe, they were for both of us. After all, I’m the one home and playing with him all day. I should have something I enjoy as well. Ha!
There are so many great Little People sets out there and like I did, I highly suggest seeking out garage sales as people have great deals on sets. I bet Facebook Marketplace would have some great deals as well. However, if you’re looking to buy new, here are some of my…I mean my kids’, favorites.
Little People Caring for Animals Farm Playset
Admittedly, we do not have this one, but it may make it on one of their wishlists even though we have a lot of barns already but this is so cool!!
Interactive electronic farm playset with 45+ songs, sounds, and phrases for toddlers and preschool kids ages 1-5 years
Little People Farm Friends
Do you need some more farm friends? Here is a great pack that is sure to keep you busy on the farm!
Figure set featuring 8 Little People farm animal friends
Includes llama, chicken, cow, goat, horse, pig, sheep and dog figures
Little People School Bus
There are a few variations out there of the Little People School Bus, which is a favorite in our house. This one holds up to 12 friends, makes sounds, and has a handle that can be stored underneath if your child wants to pull it behind them.
- Little People push-along toy school bus featuring fun music and sounds for toddlers and preschool kids ages 1-5 years
- Press the Discovery Button or place a figure in the driver’s seat for fun lights, sounds & songs
- Includes vehicle and 2 figures, all sized for small hands to grasp and move, helping to strengthen fine motor skills
Little People School
The Little People School is great to help kids learn their colors, share/play on the teeter totter, practice teaching each other, etc. This is so much fun! Yet another one that we don’t have but I so want to add to my Christmas list…I mean my kids’ Christmas list…(ok, totally just added it to the twins’ Christmas list, hopefully they’ll share it with me if they get it)
- Arrives in frustration-free, easy-to-open packaging that’s 100% recyclable. For a gift-ready box, select “Ship in Amazon packaging” at checkout.
- Interactive schoolhouse playset that introduces toddlers and preschool kids ages 1-5 years to making friends
- Press the Discovery Buttons for educational songs, sounds, phrases and fun actions
- Working teeter-totter, spinning globe, real metal bell and more hands-on play to help strengthen fine motor skills
- Playset folds for storage with 2 figures and play piece inside
There are a LOT more Little People sets I want to add but then it would be a post just about Little People and that seems a Little Overboard so I’ll move on…
Our boys love these cars because they are easy to grab with their little hands and when they pull them back they zoom forward! I love them because they’re soft so when they zoom forward they don’t hurt my walls!
INCLUDES 4 SOFT VEHICLES: The Melissa & Doug Pull-Back Vehicles set for babies and toddlers includes 4 safe, soft vehicles including a school bus, family car, fire truck, and police car.
EASY TO USE: The rev-up mechanism inside each vehicle makes it easy for babies and toddlers to get big acceleration with little input; they just pull them back and release to see them zoom off across the floor.
Who doesn’t love a bead maze?! These are so fun to play with and helps develop fine motor skills as well. As you sit with your child while they’re playing with this, you could be teaching them colors and shapes as well.
- Multi-shaped and brightly colored wooden beads swoop and slide along 3 roller-coaster wires
- 18 wooden beads in a variety of shapes and sizes are easy to grip and feel great in little hands
- Sturdy wooden base; this product ships in its own special e-commerce packaging intended to be easier to open and reduce waste
- Encourages fine motor skills and color and shape recognition
- Makes a great gift for babies and toddlers, ages 1 to 3, for hands-on, screen-free play
- Classic toy for kids, features with colorful bead and sea animals patterns
- Well constructed, brightly colored, smooth-sanded pieces, with solid beech base
- Perfect educational toy, helps kids to develop hand eye cordination, shape and color differentiation, fine motor skills
- Ready to play, no assemble required, recommend for age 3+
- Bead Maze Size: 8.85 x 8.85 x 5.9 inches
Fold Out Kids Couch
Our oldest child got a child-sized couch when he was a year or so old and he loved it! He looked so cute sitting on it, and even cuter when he was joined by a friend. Years later the twins arrived and holy wow, seeing those two next to each other looking at books is ADORABLE if I don’t say so myself. Haha! Really though, this is such a fun thing to have for kids. Whether you have one in their room or in the living room so they can be like a grown-up and have their own furniture, it’s great and I highly recommend it. We have Thomas the Train but there are many variations out there, including this Paw Patrol one.
- COMFY FOAM TODDLER COUCH: Give your little one their own exclusive lounging sofa with this perfectly sized compact flip-open couch with a fun & colorful design crafted from durable and comfy foam.
- EASY TO UNBOX: Sofa ships compressed in an airtight compact box. Remove from packaging & watch it grow! Please allow up to 24 hours for compressed foam sofa to return to its full size & shape.
- 2-IN-1 SOFA & SLEEPER BED: Innovative flip-open construction combines couch & sleeper bed for lounging, sitting, & napping. Sofa dimensions: 14.75"h, 29.25"w, and 16”d. Flips open to a 3ft lounger.
- AGES 18 MONTHS AND UP: Recommended for kids ages 18 months and up with a 100 pound weight capacity and one child seating capacity.
- MACHINE WASHABLE COVER: Polyester fabric slipcover features a safety zipper without the traditional zipper pull and is machine washable
- Includes: 1 Flip Open Sofa
- Covered by the Spin Master Care Commitment. See below for full details
- Ships in several boxes, may ship separately
- CONVERTIBLE 2-IN-1 DESIGN: This flip-open chair converts to a lounger/sleeper| Ideal for reading, relaxing, playing or sleeping, your child will enjoy this couch with siblings/friends | Recommended for ages 18 months+ | Fits 1 to 2 small children
- COMFY FOAM CONSTRUCTION: Supportive foam keeps its shape and provides all-day comfort | Soft and durable slipcover features side pocket to keep books/tablet within reach | Lightweight chair is portable, great for bedrooms, playrooms, gaming or studying
- STAIN-RESISTANT: Keep chair looking new with the built-in Scotchgard stain release finish that helps most stains wash out during normal laundering | Chair features a machine-washable slipcover that zips off
- CHILD-SAFE ZIPPER: To prevent kids from opening the chair, we use a childproof safety zipper that comes without a pull, it can only be opened using a paperclip | Chair meets or exceeds government and ASTM safety standards
- EASY TO UNBOX: Ships in a super-small box | Assembly required | Once unboxed chair expands 5x (may take 24 hours to fully expand) | Chair: 23.5”W x 16.5”D x 15”H| Lounger Flipped Open: 23.5”W x 40.5”D x 15”H
Chomp & Count Dino
One of my twins got the Chomp and Count Dino for their birthday from us and he LOVED it!! It’s so neat to be able to feed the dinosaur coins and have him tell you which color you just fed him, as well as which food. This dino can help teach kids numbers, shapes, types of food, and colors. Another bonus is there an on/off switch and a quieter/louder switch as well. There also is a pull string for if your toddler wants to pull it around once they’re able to walk.
Dinosaur toy recognizes the eight brightly colored food pieces as you feed him; provides fun responses as he eats each piece
Leap Frog Picnic
This Leap Frog picnic shape sorter has been a big hit in our house for years. It’s perfect for twins or households with two children as there is two of everything. My twins still set up little picnics for each other or their stuffed animals from time to time and they’re three! They started liking this set when they were about 8 months old and continue to like it to this day.
Features 15 brightly colored play pieces including plates, forks, cups, food and a tablecloth, perfect for a pretend picnic for two
Car Tower with Cars
Ok, so I know I said I was done with Little People toys but this is different. This is a car tower so it’s different than just the playsets, it has wheels and is awesome. Hehe!
Our oldest got the Little People Sit ‘n Stand Skyway for his first birthday and he’s loved it ever since. His twin brothers have enjoyed it as well. It can be upright so it’s tall and one big windy road or it can be down, as pictured, and have an area to drive as well as off-ramps.
- 2-in-1 transforming vehicle playset for zip-zooming racing play for toddlers and preschool kids ages 18 months - 5 years
- Kids can sit at the playset and send Wheelies cars zooming down the ramps or fill up at the gas station
- Transform the playset to a twisty, vertical ramp that’s over 34 inches tall for gravity-defying racing play
- Includes 2 Little People Wheelies cars
Leap Frog Learning Friends Book
This book is really awesome in that it’s able to help toddlers learn their words because it not only talks to them but it also shows the word and the object that the word is associated with. Our twins loved this book so much we ended up getting two so they both could use them at the same time.
There are also different options on the book such as music, exploring, and reading. It also sings to them!
Interact With Friends: Meet learning friends Turtle, Tiger and Monkey who will introduce the alphabet through more than 100 age-appropriate words chosen by learning experts
Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
All 3 of our boys loved this sit-to-stand learning walker. There are many things they can do when they’re sitting and plenty of miles they can walk while pushing it. We only had one of these because we had other walkers but if you’re able to get two, that’d probably be ideal if you have twins!
- Interactive learning baby Walker has a removable play panel; frustration free packaging means it comes in a plain brown box
- Early learning center has 5 piano keys that play music and encourage creativity; wheels work on carpeted and hard floors
- Features 2 colorful spinning rollers, 3 shape sorters, and 3 light-up buttons that develop motor skills
- Pretend telephone handset and mechanical elements enhance role-play fun; 2 AA batteries are included
- Over 70 sing-along songs, music, sound effects and fun phrases; meant for babies and toddlers 9 months to 3 years old. Sensory development
- Frustration Free Packaging means it comes easier to open in a plain brown box. Helps in Language Development
- Batteries included for demo purposes only. New batteries recommended for regular use.
Owl Linkimals Toy
The Fisher-Price Linkimals Learning Owl is sure to provide hours of fun for your little one! This little penguin dances, makes music, helps teach colors, shapes, the alphabet, and numbers.
We got this for our kids for Christmas and realized we had another couple of toys that connect with it wirelessly which is SO cool!! They all sing together and talk back and forth to each other.
Interactive musical learning toy with friendly, expressive face and multi-color lights
Press the 7 buttons or rock Owl side to side to activate lights, music and phrases
90+ songs, sounds and phrases teach the alphabet, counting 1-20, weather, days of the week, months of the year, and emotions
Little Tikes First Appliances
The Little Tikes First Fridge is so much fun! My boys got it for their birthday and I love it as much as they do! It’s so fun for little kids to be able to organize the fridge like how mom and dad do.
The Little Tikes Oven and Dishwasher are awesome too!
INTERACTIVE TOY: This toy refrigerator is designed so kids can pretend they're cooking and prepping meals as if they're using the real thing for hours of pretend play fun.
SPECIAL FEATURES : The working ‘ice’ dispenser drops plastic ice cubes (included) and makes crushed ice and water dispensing sounds. The dual French doors feature an interior light that turns on and off when opened and closed. Separate pull out freezer beeps when it has been open too long.
PRODUCT INCLUDES : 11 kitchen accessories: an ice cube tray, 4 ice cubes, 2 clips, an ice cream cone, a milk carton, a bottle of ketchup, and an orange.
INTERACTIVE TOY: This realistic toy oven is designed so kids can pretend they're cooking and baking as if they're using the real thing for hours of pretend play fun
REALISTIC KITCHEN ROLE PLAYING: This oven is packed with realistic sounds: burners igniting, water boiling, sizzling, and timers ringing. Other realistic features include the stovetop lights up, the buttons really work, the oven light turns on when the door is opened, the oven shelf is removable, and the burner dials turn. Includes 11 realistic cooking accessories: 4 cookies, a cookie sheet, a fried egg, a piece of bacon, a steak, a frying pan, a spatula, and a towel
INTERACTIVE TOY - The dishwasher is designed like the real thing, so kids can pretend they're cleaning the dishes and have hours of role play fun.
REALISTIC DESIGN - This dishwasher has realistic lights and sounds. The detergent drawer flips down, the knob clicks as it turns, and kids can use the dial to activate the dishwasher and watch the washing light effects. Plus, the sliding dish racks can be pulled out.
14 REALISTIC ACCESSORIES - Includes 14 realistic kitchen accessories: 2 plates, 2 cups, 2 forks, 2 spoons, 2 knives, 2 dish racks, dish towel, dish soap bottle.
Create an Amazon Wishlist
Did you know you can create an Amazon Wishlist that you can share with friends and family? We have one for each child, and ourselves! We add items to the list all year and give the links to family who buy the kids birthday and Christmas presents. It’s great because as people buy from the list it disappears so no one buys a duplicate. To add an item to the wishlist, just click on “Add to List” on any Amazon product page then select the list you’d like to add it to.
- My blog post: How and Why to Create an Amazon Wishlist
As a mom of identical twins and a son two years older, I have gained invaluable experience in the realm, and chaos, of parenting. With a Master's Degree and Education Specialist Degree in School Psychology, I spent years as a school psychologist, helping children navigate through their educational and emotional challenges. Now as a stay at home mom and professional blogger, I combine my areas of expertise to help you in your parenting journey.