This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a small commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Do you have a child who needs a quick breakfast but with food allergies that can be difficult to find? I’ve started to make a batch of gluten free pancakes that I freeze and then thaw whenever my son with food allergies wants pancakes.
By doing this, he can be just like his twin brothers who like their store-bought frozen pancakes. It’s always so great to be able to help him feel more ‘normal’ despite his food allergies.
Why Gluten Free?
My oldest son has an egg allergy and is sensitive to gluten and dairy, so he can’t eat the same foods as his younger brothers. He generally is understanding of this but sometimes he gets sad when they have things he can’t have. For example, those cute frozen mini pancakes. Since I can’t buy him any that are ok for him to eat, I make a batch from scratch (or a box such as Namaste) every so often and freeze them.
- Soy free
- Peanut free
- Dairy Free
- Wheat Free
- Nut free
I’ve learned from experience to ensure that when I use the last ones I make more so we don’t have any issues the next time his brothers want pancakes.
More recently we’ve switched to the King Arthur gluten free pancake mix which I’ll share below this recipe if you’re looking for another option.
Namaste Pancake Mix Recipe – Adapted
- 2 Cups Dry Namaste Pancake Mix
- 2 Eggs – we use Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer instead of eggs
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk or any type of milk or water
- Preheat your non-stick griddle or pan. You may find it helpful to spray the griddle or pan with extra olive oil or melted dairy-free butter if desired. With the Griddler that I use, I haven't found the need to prep it, I just preheat it.
- Gather and measure your pancake mix, making your egg replacer, and measuring the oil and milk or water.
- Mix together the eggs, oil, milk or water. After well combined, add the 2 cups of mix. Personally, I like to use our standing mixer but you could use a hand mixer or probably even just a spoon.
- Test to see if the griddle or pan is hot enough by sprinkling a couple drops of water on it and see if it sizzles. If it sizzles, it's ready. If not, wait a few more minutes then try again.
- Spoon or pour the pancake dough onto the griddle or pan to the desired size. I like to do smaller ones but it's up to you!
- Cook the pancakes until they start to bubble on top and are golden brown on the bottom. Then flip them and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Once pancakes are fully cooked, you can cool them on a cooling rack, or if you don't have one then use a plate. If you want to eat them right away, then go for it! Or you can freeze them for later.
- If you want to freeze them for later, once they're fully cooled, put them into a freezer safe bag, label the bag, and put them in the freezer for later enjoyment.
King Arthur Gluten Free Mix
We’ve switched from Namaste gluten free pancake mix to King Arthur because it’s simpler since I can use the whole bag at once which is nice since I always make them in bulk. Both are great options though.
- Gluten free pancake mix
- Cholesterol and trans fat free
- Kosher friendly
Finally, a gluten-free pancake mix that's simple to prepare and tastes delicious. Keep your pantry stocked with our gluten-free mix - a weekend breakfast essential - and enjoy tender, fluffy pancakes (or waffles) at a moment's notice
This 15 oz pancake mix makes sixteen 4" pancakes and also includes directions to make waffles and a half batch of pancakes. Each serving includes 21g whole grains. We love our pancakes plain or dressed up with fresh fruit or chocolate chips
King Arthur Gluten Free Pancake Mix is Non-GMO Project Verified; Certified Gluten-Free by The GFCO, a program of the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG); Certified Kosher (instructions included to make the mix non-dairy)
What I used below to make the pancakes is the Griddler that can be either a griddle, grill, panini press, or combination of griddle and grill. We also have the waffle plates that I should really use more often.
SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE: Cuisinart’s 5-1 griddler is a contact grill, panini press, full grill, full griddle and half grill/half griddle
EASY TO USE: The griddler plates (11-inch x 9-inch) are removable, reversible and are dishwasher safe nonstick cooking plates, the plates also act as a drain for the grease for cooking more healthy. The integrated drip tray collects grease and is easy to store
Want to make waffles? Easy! Just get these waffle plates and you’re good to go!
- Fits Only : GR-4N: Griddler, GR-4: Griddler and GR-5B: Griddler Five . This item does not come with a clip and screw. It is only the plates.
- Bakes 4 deep pocketed, 3/4-inch thick Belgian waffles
- Nonstick baking plates for easy release of waffles
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
- Recipe book included
Gluten Free Pancakes Complete
Below you can see the gluten free pancakes are all cooked, I just had to take this picture as they fit perfectly on this plate we got for our wedding and don’t use as often as we should. Sometimes I make them small like these, whereas other times I make them bigger.
Now that my oldest is 7 years old, he prefers bigger pancakes which are just fine with me, fewer for me to flip! Sometimes I grab a couple too!
It’s easy to mix things up a bit by including different mix-ins.
All of these are gluten free, dairy free, and soy free:
- A scoop of Orgain Organic Protein Powder
- Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Collagen Peptides
21 grams of organic plant based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 2 grams of organic dietary fiber, low net carbs, 0 grams of added sugar, 150 calories per serving
USDA organic, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, lactose free, low net carbs, no added sugar, soy free, kosher, Non GMO, carrageenan free, and no artificial ingredients
Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick breakfast or snack drink. Use when baking to give your cakes, muffins, brownies, or cookies a protein and energy boost
Below is a link to the Enjoy Life chocolate chips but in all honesty, they’ll likely be cheaper at your local store such as Target, Walmart, specialty food store, co-op, or grocery store.
- Packaging may vary
- Contain 1 - 10 ounce bag
- Verified Non-GMO, Allergy-Friendly, Certified Gluten-Free, Vegan, Kosher, Halal, Paleo-Friendly.
- Enjoy Life products are free from gluten and wheat, peanuts, dairy, tree nuts, soy, casein, sulfites, egg, lupin, sesame, fish, mustard, crustaceans, shellfish.
- Premium chocolate derived from sustainably harvested cocoa beans.
- Made with all-natural ingredients.
I love adding Collagen Peptides to smoothies, my coffee, and baking such as pancakes to add some extra protein.
- 1 Simple Ingredient: Collagen Peptides is a premium powdered supplement that features hydrolyzed collagen peptides — sourced from the hides of grass-fed, pasture-raised cows — to support hair, skin, nail, bone and joint health.**^
- Easy To Use: Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides is easily digested and dissolves in cold or hot liquids, like coffee, tea and smoothies.
- High quality: Sourced from the hides of grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine to ensure a high quality and sustainable source of this powerful ingredient.
- Made With You In Mind: Whole30 Approved, Paleo Friendly, Kosher, Grass Fed + Pasture Raised, Made Without Gluten & Dairy, 0g Sugar*
- 20g Collagen Powder Per Serving: While we are going scoopless, the recommended dosages will stay the same. We encourage consumers to follow the measurement guidance on our updated label, which provides servings measured in tablespoons.
When the gluten free pancakes are cooled I put them in a reusable freezer-safe zip-top bag and put a label on them so we easily know what they are. Generally I write my son’s name on here and have these near the front of the freezer so he can easily get them himself.
Sometimes we’ll just let them thaw if he’s not hungry right away or other times we’ll pop them in our designated gluten free toaster if I made them big enough to get lost, or put them in the microwave for a bit until they’re no longer frozen.
Now that he likes bigger pancakes I use gallon size zip top freezer bags to store his pancakes. I reuse them until the zipper fails.
Reusable, food grade material. Leak-proof, freezer safe, easy to clean, easy seal, and multipurpose.
As a mom of identical twins and a son two years older, I have gained invaluable experience in the realm, and chaos, of parenting. With a Master's Degree and Education Specialist Degree in School Psychology, I spent years as a school psychologist, helping children navigate through their educational and emotional challenges. Now as a stay at home mom and professional blogger, I combine my areas of expertise to help you in your parenting journey.